Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Coffee. Is it the beauty or the beast?

On the average day we probably drink 3 to 4 pots of coffee at Cork Tree Creative and sometimes more if D-Rock is in the office :)   We have a humble staff, luckily, that doesn't require anything fancy . . . just plain-old-Folgers-in-the-red-can kind of coffee.   Lately, it seems our industrial strength Bunn can't keep up with the demand making me think (after just pouring my third tall travel mug of JOE) "Man, what is it about coffee that we all love so much?"

Having had a home office for several years I like that coffee brings people together.  I remember sitting at my kitchen table with a cup of lightly-sweetened-by-Splenda-coffee and my computer starting my daily "do" list and feeling like something was missing.  Randomly I would shoot out emails attempting to set up appointments and inevitably one would include coffee.

For decades, coffee has been a common ground for many professionals. Coffee shops became cosmopolitan many years ago and then experienced a resurgence in the last decade.  The beany liquid has become a lure for fast food restaurants and the entire premise of a franchise for those like Starbucks.

I think for some, like me, coffee signifies the start of a productive day . . . the fuel for creative thinking.  And, for someone who relies on being creative for a living, that's kind of important.  But is it really the coffee that fuels me or the thought of having a common thread with co-workers, clients and friends?  Is it the happy hour of the early hours or the actual caffeine that gets me charged?

I recently received a Keurig Coffee Maker from my darling husband as a gift and with big, bright eyes thumbed their catalog that showcases all of the different flavor options available when you buy their KCups.  What a treat!  Quickly I purchased variety pack after variety pack trying to find that cutesy coffee brand that I could call my own.  I even purchased DECAF!  I must say . . . I LOVE the Keurig but let me give a warning to all if I run out of KCups.  This prompts me to believe that I have not only become a caff addict but also a slave to my rituals.    I can almost smell the coffee in my sleep . . . before it's brewed.  Sad, I know.

I could debate with myself all day about why and how and when I became quite so dependent on that hot, dark drink but the fact of the matter is . . . I need it.  We all seem to need it (at least in our office.)  I speak for the entire staff at Cork Tree Creative when I say, if there is one thing in this world that we can point to that helps get us through the day besides, hard work, dedication and a positive attitude . . . that's right, we're pointing to you JOE.  With our mugs in the air,  "Thanks for the lift."

L

No comments:

Post a Comment